No need to worry about installing multiple strips or pads on your hives to fight mites; oxalic acid has a 97 percent efficiency rate, and applying it does not require you to open up your hive. This vaporizer will also last you many years, perhaps even generations. Simply follow the instructions provided with this vaporizer, and make sure to wear a respirator with an organic acid filter, goggles, and gloves.
Oxalic acid is a naturally-occurring acid found in many foods such as chocolate, beets, spinach, and peanuts. It gives such food a slightly bitter taste (think: dark chocolate). Oxalic acid also naturally occurs in hives, so, if used as directed, it will not harm any bees!
The best time to treat is when your hive has no brood, because oxalic acid kills mites that are not in capped cells. However, treating in late August and early September can be helpful as the mites' breeding rate increases during those times.
- Uses a naturally-occurring acid that does not harm bees, unlike many other treatments that often use poisons
- Heavy-duty, durable vaporizer
- Treatment is most effective on a broodless colony
- Recommended by Randy Oliver with a 97 percent efficiency rate
- Wear a respirator with an organic acid filter, goggles, and gloves when using
Note: Although using oxalic acid has been approved by the EPA, individual States must approve its use as well - check with your State to make sure.
Note: Oxalic acid (Item No. 9701) and measuring spoon (Item No. 9702) are sold separately.