Varroa Cleaner is an effective oxalic acid vaporizer that is proven to kill both varroa and tracheal mites. It's perfect for the hobbyist with a couple of hives!
Oxalic acid has a 97 percent efficiency rate, and applying it does not require you to open up your hive. Oxalic acid is a naturally-occurring acid found in many foods such as chocolate, beets, spinach, and peanuts. It gives such food a slightly bitter taste (think: dark chocolate). It also naturally occurs in hives, so, if used as directed, this acid will not harm any bees!
This vaporizer connects to any 12-volt battery and heats up the oxalic acid within the Vaporizer's aluminum cup. The oxalic acid reaches such a high temperature that it transforms into a gas and fills the hive. The acid kills mites by seeping into their blood stream through the pads on their feet.
The best time to treat is when your hive has no brood, because oxalic acid kills mites that are not in capped cells. However, treating in late August and early September can be helpful as the mites' breeding rate increases during those times.
- Perfect for the hobbyist beekeeper!
- Uses a naturally-occurring acid that does not harm bees, unlike many other treatments that often use poisons
- Heavy-duty, durable vaporizer
- Treatment is most effective on a broodless colony
- Wear a respirator with an organic acid filter, goggles, and gloves when using
Note: Although using oxalic acid has been approved by the EPA, individual States must approve its use as well - check with your State to make sure!